After their vacation in Costa Rica or Nicaragua, many guests are impressed by our sustainability efforts at the hotels, resorts and eco lodges that we operate. Especially, when they accompany us on the back of the house sustainability tour and they understand what it takes to be sustainable.
They tell us that they get inspired to lead a more sustainable lifestyle when they get back home. Here some ideas on how to green your day to day life at home.
- Recycling is good, but not producing waste is better. Rethink your eating out / taking out food habits and be conscious about the trash that you produce. Avoid buying water in plastic bottles at all cost.
- Buy locally produced products, avoid processed foods, frequent farmers markets and eat seasonally. Be conscious about the seafood that you consume.
- Take your own cloth bags when you go shopping. Avoid plastic or paper bags at stores and supermarkets.
- Use your car less. Walk, bike, and take public transportation or at least car pool. It is not always convenient, but it makes a BIG difference.
- Use bio-degradable cleaning and cosmetic products; improve dumping practices with paints or household chemicals.
For future travel, be aware that your travel choice makes a difference. Investigate your next travel destinations as to their social and environmental impact. Support Sustainable hotels and lodges, and contribute to their Travelers”™ Philanthropy projects. Support Carbon-Neutral programs to offset your transportation fuel consumption.