National Geographic’s Concept of Geotourism at work at the Cayuga Collection Hotels and Lodges
According to National Geographic´s Center for Sustainable Destinations, “geotourism is defined as tourism that sustains or enhances the geographical character of a place—its environment, culture, aesthetics, heritage, and the well-being of its residents. Geotourism incorporates the concept of sustainable tourism—that destinations should remain unspoiled for future generations—while allowing for ways to protect a place’s character. Geotourism also takes a principle from its ecotourism cousin,—that tourism revenue should promote conservation—and extends it to culture and history as well, that is, all distinctive assets of a place.”
Cayuga Sustainable Hospitality works diligently to incorporate the principles of geotourism into its operations.
Examples of this work include:
- Working towards conservation and environmental education in the communities in which we operate, including:
- Promoting reforestation among our properties
- Encouraging the use of native plant landscaping
- Supporting local conservation groups and projects
- Encouraging manifestations of local culture and heritage by:
- Supporting local dance and music groups, and by hosting these groups in our properties for guest appreciation
- Incorporating traditional art and design into our hotels´ architecture and interior design
- Encouraging guests to learn about, and immerse themselves in, the history, culture and local heritage of the places and people surrounding our properties.
- Working towards sustainable development in the communities in which we operate, supporting projects including:
- Education, such as working with reimbursement plans that assist those employees who wish to continue their studies, or supporting local primary schools in basic infrastructure, environmental education and more.
- Health, sponsoring activities and campaigns that promote the well being of our associates and residents in our surrounding communities.
- Job training and development, training our associates and members of the surrounding community to be more knowledgeable and skilled in their positions so that they can learn and grow.
- Building Green and Sustainable Communities: Supporting the concept and implementation of green and sustainable growth and development.
To learn more about the concept of geotourism, click here